Tuesday, November 13, 2007

L's Home Program...


we have made updates to the basement but don't have a current picture. I will try to update it so you can see! We have taken the tramp out cause we have a full size one in the back yard with our teeter totter too. But basically the basement became the most reinforcing place to be that we could make it!

Ok, sorry, I forgot that some of you don't know what I mean when I talk about "L's staff".

L has Autism. Autism is a disability. So, we qualify for a waiver in Iowa that provides us with people to come into our home 52 hrs. a month, Plus Respite care. So basically we have staff in our home 2 hrs. a day 4 days a week and 4 hrs on Fridays. We are trying to get some help for Sunday as well, but that isn't working out right now. This is time for L to have his home program in progress while the rest of us do what we need to. Our entire basement is set up to facilitate this program. (with the exception of my laundry and food storage.) This program is what makes all the difference...especially during the school breaks.

We are on a balanced calendar school year here. That means we do a regular school year as far as dates go, but we have a 2 week spring break, and a 2 week fall break, in addition to all the other breaks regular calendar schools have. This means we only have a 6 week summer! yeah! There are pro's and con's to this schedule, but we have adapted.

Some of you know that I took a staff member on vacation with us this summer. This is one of the benefits of having this service. L made so much progress during the month of July! It was almost disappointing to not have staff 24/7 when we returned.

Our journey with Autism has made us all stronger, even though we don't always feel strong. I know we live in Iowa for K & L's education. I know it is the place that we NEED to be in...even though I will admit I hate living here. Don't get me wrong, we have made some WONDERFUL friends here and gained so much knowledge of many different things. But there is NOTHING...& I mean NOTHING about this place that would make me trade it for the good old Northwest!

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask away!

5 comments:

tharker said...

I remember when you told me you guys were going to Iowa, I was like "What the heck in in Iowa?" Then you told me that Iowa has some among the top in the country for Autism research. I know that you guys were led there for Logan...oh yeah, and Keven too...(heehee)

Thanks for sharing about his home program. That's so awesome that those services are available to help families.

You guys are amazing. And I guess EVEN if you decide to stay in Iowa, we'll still love ya!

tharker said...

Could I have mentioned IOWA more times in one post?

tharker said...

I mean Iowa is among the top. Not some among the top...silly me....Hey look at that 3 comments right in a row!

the sheldons said...

Tiff, Dean and I are constantly amazed at how you can Keven manage your busy lives on top of having a child with Autism. We both know we couldn't do it. Heavenly Father has blessed you with the resources you need to get Logan all he needs to progress and I am sure he will continue to do so.

sweet momma luv u said...

We also have child with Autism. What a great program for Logan!
Wish we had that coverage here in WA.

Would love to chat more.
Jody