
L is now attending the Quad City Autism Center!(QCAC) We have wanted to get him in to this place for about a year, but do to our skinny non~existent pocket book, we were unable to pay for it.
No, nothing has changed with our pocket book, its still pretty much non~existent, but L qualified for a new program with the state called Consumer Choices Option (CCO). Really all this means is that we still get services, like we have been getting, only we don't have to go through an agency,who comes to our home, we get to take him somewhere WE feel is good for him to receive services.
Now I know your thinking, 'why would you want to go somewhere else if its already coming to you?' So here it is: We never had enough staff to fill our hours and the staff we did have, had to fill out TONS of paperwork about everything that they did with L every shift they were here & We had to train each staff person we took on, not knowing whether or not they would work out. Plus, the money paid to the agency was not ALL going to the employees. It was going to the agency and the employees were getting a measly amount. Not to mention when they called to cancel a shift (the day of usually) they didn't have a replacement.

So, now we are attending the QCAC 3 times a week so that L can have consistent, quality sessions. YEAH!!!
I've got to get this kid what I am now calling "Washington Ready" in only 18 months! As some of you might know, Services like this pretty much don't exist where we are going. I want L to have the best he can get for as long as we are here. Washington will be a new struggle for us to manage once we figure out exactly where we are going and to be honest I am not sure they offer a whole lot if anything:(
On L's first session (yesterday) he did well. He liked going to the center, he likes the lady who works with him and I feel great about him being there. My only wish for right now is that he could go 5 days a week. But thats not happening, unless we somehow come up with another $800 to $1000 a month. So we are grateful for what we DO have and hope it will be enough to help transform our perfect, super BIG guy! (he is 71/2 now and getting tall!) He makes SO much good progress with quality sessions that I know he is capable.
I know I am blessed to have such a special guy entrusted to me, so I try to do my best with what I have, and CAN do. Even though sometimes he just kicks my trash! So, like I'm sure you have heard me say a time or two:
"One day at a time".
2 comments:
Celebrating right along with ya Tiff! That is so fantastic!
Yea on the Autism center and all that means for Logan. I know it's been hard for you to be away from family but I also know how thankful you are for the blessing it is to Logan to be in Iowa.
Way to go on the exercise. Someday I will begin. Look at you, you've already begun.
Take care and stay warm. Liked the Mitt article by the way.
Megan
Post a Comment