Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ONLY IN IOWA...

Today was eventful. Usually when I use the word 'eventful', it sarcastic. But all the same, eventful.

K is at board review till 10 and I didn't want to cook for myself and chicken nuggets for L and whatever N wants, plus cleaning up after 3 meals at home is SO not what I wanted to do tonight, by myself.

I picked up L from the QCAC and called my friends with 'serious computer hacking skills'. They found me a Applebee's kids eat for .99 on Wednesdays. Yeah! I called another friend, who's husband was at board review to see if she would like to go with us. No, not to help with the kids, although she did :) Thanks Chelle!

By the end I was wondering 'WHY did I want to go out for dinner?' These kids are exhausting sometimes. Ok, most of the time.

Then on my way home, in my sizzlin' 92 Honda Accord, 2 kids in the back, my hair crammed into a sort of twisted bun with a claw in it (completely unattractive) singing along to my 'WICKED' cd. Yes, it was 'popular'.

I'm sitting at the stop light, when I glance over and realize this young guy next to me in a Chevy cavalier is trying to get my attention to roll down my window. I wasn't freaked out, but was thinking: is my tire flat, gas door open, someones doing something inappropriate out the back window and Im oblivious? You know, those kind of thoughts.

him: How you doin'!?
me: uh, fine?
him: you married?
me: uh, yeah.

COMPLETELY caught off guard, I quickly rolled up my window (thank goodness the light turned green!) and then the comebacks started stampeding through my worn out, end of the day mommy brain. Oh the things I COULD have said!

"No, I'm the babysitter."
"Are you serious?"
"How old do I look to you?"
"You must be desperate"
"Can you SEE my kids right behind me?"
"Its 8pm on a WEDNESDAY, seriously."
"Your aware this is a HUGE college town, and your trying to pick up a mom at a stoplight, right?"

I could go on and on.

But I've got to put kids to bed.

7 comments:

Franklin's said...

You are hysterical!! That is too funny!! Too bad you didn't think of those responses a little sooner!

Miss ya!
Sheli

NOBODY said...

AHHHHHHH HAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA! So dang funny!

Maybe he WANTED a married woman. Maybe you sold yourself short rolling up the window.

At least he's polite. Granted, he's trying to pick up women at a stoplight at 8 on a Wednesday night, with two kids in the backseat, but still he was considerate of Keven first and foremost. See, there IS still chilvary alive!

M.Howerton said...

Laughed till my stomach hurt - This is SOOO IOWA!

And people thought it was boring here. :)

tharker said...

At least you can rest assured that you've still got IT! ;)

This is hilarious! I wish you would have said some of those things to him.

dancin' momma said...

It must be something about us married women that the guys here can't seem to resist. That just happened to me last week...maybe it's the same guy :)

Meredith said...

I love it! That is absolutely hilarious. I am always too late with the comebacks. Just call me "dumbfounded". Keven better not leave you alone anymore. :)

For some reason this just made me think of the time in high school when we were driving through Quincy and you got pulled over. The officer was sooooooo convinced that we had been drinking, apparently he had never run across a car full of silly, laugh at anything (including getting pulled over) SOBER girls. Good times!

The Queen "B" said...

Tiff - let's be realistic - If I was a guy, I'd totally ask if you were single!!! Oh and since we're talking about Iowa - I'm surprised the guy wasn't driving his tractor!