Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Intruder...

For the past few weeks, we have suspected a intruder in our back yard. Our suspicions started when we found a huge pile of poop next to the garage and determined it did not belong to anyone in our family. (yay!) We found it impossible to be a neighborhood cat, due to the enormous size of the poop. We determined that by the size of the poop, it should be closer to a mid to large size dog. Um, we have a completely fenced yard, how does a dog get in? Oh, right, it wasn't a dog at all. So, this week, I found another poop in one of our basement window wells. Smaller in size than the first, but same shape and color. (VERY distinct, and I think I am already going into a lot of detail, so I will spare you the rest ;)) The very next day after discovering poop #2, I discover poop #3 ON TOP of poop #2. OK, thats enough, I tell K for about the 3rd time, "I think we have something living under our back porch." To which he replies "Yeah, I don't think so. We would see more evidence of that by the dirt and recycling bins being tampered with." WHY DON'T MEN LISTEN???

SO, last night, K decides to throw out some recycling on the back porch (thats where we keep it) As he leans out the screen door, he notices a LARGE raccoon! (this is where I get to say "I told you!") He whisper yells to me "T, there is a HUGE raccoon out here!" So, I go running out there, and it is HUGE and it is CLOSE! Probably about 20 feet or less from my back door. At first it is a little startled, but keeps on digging at my lilac bush. We think Ok, cool, we will just watch him, so I go get the camera. My brave husband thinks he needs to hold the camera..., cause I guess I can't? The porch light comes on and we can really see him now, and I am pretty sure he can see both of us standing there. Yet, he doesn't even bat an eyelash. He proceeds to come towards us and hop the flower bed right at the base of the porch. (I am getting a little scared, cause raccoons can be mean. They hiss you know.) Basically he is right at our feet and down a step. He looks at us both and scurries underneath the porch. I can't believe what just happened, essentially right at my feet.

K gets one picture. He claims he was watching the raccoon, and not the camera...just in case. Obviously this picture does not do our tenant justice. But you can come over and see him if you would like. ooh, I hope its a him? yikes! This might explain the size of it? You might be hearing more about this if its a her! Oh, and next time, I will hold the camera. :)


UPDATE: Late last night K & his cousin Paul came home late from a movie and seen it again. This time it was startled and CLIMBED the fence and took off. CraZy critter.

2 comments:

NOBODY said...

I am NEVER, and I mean NEVER coming near your house again. You can meet me on the corner.
AUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHH!
I just read about this and I'm freaked out. Imagine if I was THERE.

Adolescent Family said...

wanna have a play date? :)

Its totally gone during the day!

really.

hehehe :)